MANAGER, ADVISORY PRACTICE
The Manager plays a key role in delivering on our mission by managing consulting projects, supporting the development of new project opportunities, leading events and communications, and improving operational effectiveness. We are looking for a Manager who brings an entrepreneurial and collaborative disposition, recognizing that as a small and fast-growing company, we take an “all-hands on deck” approach.
The Manager’s primary focus will be on the management and implementation of human rights, responsible innovation, and/or social impact consulting projects. This includes developing work plans, drafting deliverables, and managing project teams. The remaining time will be focused on supporting the development of new business opportunities, managing events and communications, and advancing Article One’s operational excellence.
The Manager role is a full-time position, based in San Francisco or Washington DC. The role may require up to 30% travel once it is safe to travel following the pandemic.
The Manager, Responsible Innovation will have the following responsibilities:
Project Management and Implementation: The Manager will spend approximately 65% of their time managing client projects across a range of industries. This will include:
Managing the project team, timeline and budget;
Conducting research and analysis for project deliverables;
Facilitating client workshops and interviews;
Conducting field level assessments around the world; and
Drafting and presenting deliverables to clients.
Business Development: The Manager will spend 15% of their time supporting the creation of new business opportunities, including:
Joining calls with potential clients; and
Drafting project proposals.
Events and Communication: The Manager will spend approximately 10% of their time supporting Article One’s events and communication, including the following responsibilities:
Supporting communications, including writing blogs and Article One’s newsletter, Above the Fold;
Organizing Article One In-Action events and other events as necessary; and
Representing Article One at external events.
Operational Excellence: The Manager will spend 10% of their time supporting Article One’s overall operational excellence, including supporting the development of tools and systems.
The ideal candidate must be passionate and knowledgeable about human rights, responsible innovation, and/or sustainability, bring a strong client service mentality, believe in the power of business to drive positive impacts, and be able to thrive in an entrepreneurial start-up environment. Specific expectations include:
- Demonstrated expertise in business and human rights, responsible innovation, and/or sustainability, including prior experience either advising companies on how to manage responsibility impacts or driving responsibility programs within companies;
- At least five years of relevant experience including in consulting and sustainability management, with at least two years of project management experience;
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject, such as MBA, JD, MPA, MPP;
- Proven and demonstrated track record of success leading and managing client relationships;
- Experience managing teams and individuals, furthering their career development;
- Exceptional project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple, disparate projects simultaneously;
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, presentation and meeting facilitation;
- Ability to undertake business travel about 30% of time, including international travel; and
- High ethical standards, passion for human rights, and a humble, collaborative, and empathetic approach to engagements with colleagues and clients.
Article One is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse team enhances our ability to provide expert guidance to our clients and promote our vision of a world where all people are free and equal in dignity and rights. At this time, we can only consider applicants authorized to work in the US.
If you are looking to join a fast-growing organization in a dynamic and high-impact field, we would love to hear from you! Please email a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.